Friday, November 20, 2009

An Offering to the Tri Gods and Goddesses

"Hello? Is this thing on?!"


Dearest 11 readers. Thank you for following my ~fascinating~ blog. I'm a woman with needs. I need to know my aimless blathering is not falling upon deaf ears. So thank you for cyber stalking me. I promise I'll return the favor. Regularly.

Okay, onto the topic de jour: Success. And how the f can I get some?


I've been thinking about things, specifically how to be successful at triathlon. I believed the idea that if you commit your all and work hard, good results will come. Last season, I was going to see what could happen if I dedicated 110% of my life and intentions toward triathlon training. Was it true? Do those who work the hardest = bring home the bacon?

I started training November 1st. In these parts, I was known as the chick that trained my ass off. From November to May, I maybe missed 2 workouts. 7 days a week, 2-a-days for at least 6 of those days, often all 3 disciplines. I averaged around 20-22 hours a week. I also worked a 50+ hr work week. Needless to say, I didn't date (which my next blog may bemoan).

If I wanted to reach my goals, I needed to be more dedicated. "Success comes to those who don't miss a beat. And to those who are consistent." My 2007 season, I would miss workouts because I was tired (but feel guilty as sh*t). Peers who performed better- it was because "they worked harder." But in the big scheme of things, 2007 was my best season yet. Dare I say my only successful season. I PR'ed at every distance and reached speeds I didn't think were possible. How the f did I do that?

I still believe in the dedicated concept and see it work for people frequently. Triathletes' whose athletic successes I'm in awe of work hard. And they bring home the bacon. It seems like they never miss a beat and their race results are consistently impressive.

However, my hard work and dedication happened to blow up in my face last season. I can't tell you the heartbreak of "going all in" and busting in Vegas (Idaho). It seems like I can't win: want to do better and obtain your goals? Train harder. Be more disciplined. So I did. But I came home with the booby prize: Overtraining Syndrome, the knarliest of all: Stage 3 OTS.


May, the wheels blew off the car. I couldn't get out of bed. In the past 6 months, I've gone from vibrant, athletic, inspired, excited, hopeful, active Liz to sickly, often in bed, did I tell you about my latest ailment, turd Liz.

People get sick all the time but it was User Error (or maybe the manual I was following...) to end up like this. I still do not have a functioning hypothalamic-pituitary system nor an immune system to speak of.

Like in training, I followed orders. I've slept, eaten, and exercised as instructed. And let me tell you, for an athlete to not train in 6 months, it's been a very difficult protocol to follow. The booze protocol not so much. Every girl needs to have SOME fun!


So why? My training plan is child's play to many other athletes. Why did I get here and how can I reach my goals?

So tell me all 11 of you wise-cyber readers... how can I make this thing happen?

Rest more? Train less? Care less? And if you tell me that... please explain to me how to care less about something you need to care about in order to put in all that effort? Me no comprende.

There is one concept I'm musing about: being happy no matter the results. For Type A me, this is hard and inconceivable. I set objectives and work toward them. Do a sub-5 half iron. Work work work until I get there. Still not sure how to work work work and be okay with a 7 hour half. But I'm trying here.

Be happy no matter the outcome. Indulge in gratitude. Praise my performances as Rock Star no matter the take home. It seems counter-intuitive as a dedicated athlete but after this past year, I'm open to anything. I'll rub two magical stones together, throw salt over my shoulder, and chant "Om" if it's the path to my success. When you've been brought to your knees, you'll do just about anything.

6 comments:

  1. "being happy no matter the results"

    ding ding ding! add a little effin patience and you have big things ahead. This shit takes time. I've been at it for going on 10 years and I am *just* starting to get the base I need to really push the training. Incremental gains are the name of the game. You are not a spreadsheet - you cannot simply equate X amount of training hours to Y results. The key to success is consistancy. And the key to consistancy is A. Health and B. Fun. You threw away those two things last year and what did it get you? It may take a lot longer than us "A" types like, but you can't rush success in this. Keep on rocking your bad self and you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous above is Me (BQ). Luv ya E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, let me just tell you, after a bit of a forced break and feeling like you may never come back at all, just being able to do the races will feel like an accomplishment. I've yet to come close to matching my times from 2006, but after a disastrous stretch in which I wasn't sure I'd ever race again, it's so nice just to be out there again. One step at a time. Learn to appreciate just being out there again, THEN start to get fanatic about the goal times and stuff. It takes patience, but you will get there if you want to! For starters, just be happy that you live in the land of beautiful weather. I miss riding PCH in the middle of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think BQ said it really well.
    It seems to me that the way you must go (for now) is just to really listen to your body, and give it what it needs. If you don't, it will betray you again. So I say push a little, listen, push a little more, listen--and when your body says NOPE,not yet! I need XXX-- then be kind to it and give it what it wants. The results will take care of themselves, I think. It's kind of amazing how much you can achieve when just trying to stay healthy and have fun with it...
    Good luck! And btw I am SURE you have more than 11 readers! The 11 have just DECLARED they read you. To find out if you have stalkers, get a site meter. Google it and you will see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have absolutely no wisdom to share. Just that we love you and are backing you 100% in pursuit of your dreams. If all else fails, you are still hot as hell, funny, and scary smart. That HAS to count for something!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening to the body is the easiest and HARDEST thing to do. I don't have any great answers, I think you have already figured it out :) It just takes time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete